Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Burns Lake

Burns Lake, BC, incorporated as a village in 1923, population 2029 (2011c), 2107 (2006c). The Village of Burns Lake is located on Highway 16 in the geographical centre of British Columbia on the Nechako Plateau, 226 km west of Prince George.

Article

Burwash Landing

Burwash Landing, Yukon, Settlement, population 95 (2011c), 73 (2006c). The settlement of Burwash Landing is located on the northwest shore of Kluane Lake at Mile 1095 of the ALASKA HIGHWAY.

Article

Bécancour

The city is named for René Robineau de Bécancour, who led an expedition against the Iroquois in 1696. The first French missionary contact with the local Abenaki occurred in 1669, and a permanent European settlement was established 3 years later.

Article

Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown, a district in east-central Toronto, the general boundaries of which are the Don River on the east, Parliament St on the west, Gerrard St on the north, and Queen St on the south.

Article

Cache Creek

Cache Creek, BC, incorporated as a village in 1967, population 1040 (2011c), 1056 (2001c). The Village of Cache Creek is located in the dry belt of the southern interior of British Columbia at the junction of highways 1 and 97, 84 km west of KAMLOOPS.

Article

Caledon

Caledon, Ontario, incorporated as a town in 1974, population 59 460 (2011c), 57 050 (2006c). The Town of Caledon is located 15 km northwest of Toronto.

Article

Calgary

Calgary, Alberta, incorporated as a city in 1894, population 1,239,220 (2016 c) 1,096,833 (2011 c). The city of Calgary is situated on the Bow River in southern Alberta, about 220 km north of the American border at the meeting point of the Western prairies and mountain foothills. It is the financial centre of western Canada, based on its key role in the development of the region’s oil and gas industry. With its panoramic backdrop of the Rocky Mountains and its historic association with cattle ranching and oil exploration, Calgary is one of Canada’s most identifiable cities.

Article

Cambridge

Cambridge, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1973, population 126 748 (2011c), 120 371 (2006c). The City of Cambridge, located along the GRAND RIVER, 55 km northwest of Hamilton near KITCHENER-WATERLOO.

Article

Cambridge Bay

Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1984, population 1608 (2011c), 1477 (2006c). The Hamlet of Cambridge Bay is located on the southeast coast of VICTORIA ISLAND.

Article

Campbell River

Campbell River, BC, incorporated as a city in 2005, population 31 186 (2011c), 29 572 (2006c). The City of Campbell River was formerly a village (1947) and a district municipality (1964) before receiving civic status in 2005.

Article

Campbellton

Campbellton, NB, incorporated as a city in 1958, population 7385 (2011c), 7384 (2006c). The City of Campbellton is the administrative centre of Restigouche County. Campbellton is located on the Québec border near the mouth of the RESTIGOUCHE RIVER.

Article

Campobello Island

Campobello Island abuts the border with the US in PASSAMAQUODDY BAY , on the south coast of New Brunswick. Sovereignty over the ruggedly picturesque island was early in dispute, but passed to NB by convention in 1817. The

Article

Camrose

Camrose, Alta, incorporated as a city in 1955, population 17 286 (2011c), 15 630 (2006c). The City of Camrose, located 97 km southeast of Edmonton, is a distributing, medical, government and manufacturing centre for a rich, mixed-farming area.

Article

Candiac

The Candiac Development Corporation (now Developpements urbain Candiac), a group of Canadian and European investors, owned utilized farmland in the parishes of Saint-Constant, Delson, Saint-Philippe and the town of LA PRAIRIE.

Article

Canmore

Canmore, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 12 288 (2011c), 12 039 (2006c). The Town of Canmore is located in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, five km east of BANFF NATIONAL PARK.

Article

Cannington Manor

Cannington Manor, established 1882 when an Englishman, Capt Edward Michell Pierce, claimed 5 townships 65 km south of Whitewood, NWT (now in southeast Saskatchewan), the nearest point on the CPR.

Article

Canora

Canora, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1910, population 2219 (2011c), 2013 (2006c). The Town of Canora is located 50 km north of Yorkton. The community was a creation of the CANADIAN NORTHERN RAILWAY which laid steel through the

Article

Canso

Canso, NS, incorporated as a town in 1901, population 806 (2011c), 911 (2006c). The Town of Canso is located on Chedabucto Bay, on the northeastern shore of mainland Nova Scotia.

Article

Cantley

The first to settle the Cantley area were of Scottish or English origin. Andrew Blackburn and his 2 sons arrived in 1829. Colonel Cantley, a British army officer who had worked on the RIDEAU CANAL with Colonel John By, was granted land in what was to become Cantley in the early 1830s.

Article

Canwood

In 1954 Canwood was tripled in size when the former RM of Shell Lake and several improvement districts were added to the community. The current size of the RM is almost 25 townships. Most of the people in the area are engaged in agriculture, with grain farming and livestock the major products.