Wanipigow Lake Archaeological Site
Wanipigow Lake is a narrow, shallow widening of the river of the same name that flows in a northwesterly direction across the Canadian Canadian Shield and into Lake Winnipeg.
Wapusk National Park
Wapusk National Park (11 475.0 km2) became part of Canada's national parks system on 24 April 1996 when a federal-provincial agreement was signed providing for its establishment.
Ward Effigy Archaeological Site
The Ward Effigy Archaeological Site (Borden No. EfPf-16) is located immediately north of the Siksika Nation reserve, about 100 km east of Calgary, Alberta.
Warman, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 7084 (2011c), 4769 (2006c). The Town of Warman is located about 20 km north of SASKATOON. In 1890 the Qu'Appelle, Long Lake and Saskatchewan Railway was completed from
Wasaga Beach, ON, incorporated as a town in 1974, population 20,675 (2016 census), 17,537 (2011 census). The Town of Wasaga Beach is located on the shores of Georgian Bay at the mouth of the Nottawasaga River, about 40 km northwest of Barrie. Wasaga Beach is the world's longest freshwater beach. The name was derived from the Nottawasaga River.
Waskahegan Trail is a regional hiking trail of more than 300 km developed in and around EDMONTON, Alta. It began as a Canadian Centennial project (1967) to promote hiking opportunities in Alberta's capital region. Similar in
The area was first settled by MENNONITES led by the Erb family from Pennsylvania in 1806 on what was known as the German Company Tract. In 1816 the area was elevated to township status and named Waterloo after Wellington's famous victory over Napoleon in 1815.
Waterton Lakes National Park
Waterton Lakes National Park (established 1895, 505 km2) is situated in the southwestern corner of Alberta on the Canada-US border. In 1932, this park was united with Montana's Glacier National Park to create the world's first international peace park.
NORWEGIAN settlers arrived in the area at the beginning of the 20th century. The community that sprang up to service the area was originally called Mandel after their hometown in Norway.
Watson Lake became an important communication centre after the construction of a major airport (1943), and remains a transportation hub, linking roads from BC with main routes to the interior and to the Northwest Territories. The town is also the centre for forestry and mining in the region.
The original economic activity was gold prospecting, but for most of the 20th century, iron-ore deposits were the source of major economic activity. The ALGOMA CENTRAL RAILWAY was built to transport ore from area mines to Algoma Steel in SAULT STE MARIE.
A lifeline of trade and commerce into the heart of North America, the first Welland Canal opened in 1829, an achievement attributed primarily to a St Catharines businessman, William Hamilton MERRITT.
Wembley, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1928 and as a town in 1980, population 1383 (2011c), 1443 (2006c). The Town of Wembley is 23 km west of GRANDE PRAIRIE on Highway 43.
Early French travellers in the territory occupied by the Huron-Wendat called it le pays des Hurons ("the country of the Huron"), and residents were described as being aux Hurons ("among the Huron"), or in le pays des Hurons.
West Coast Trail
West Coast Trail, on W coast of VANCOUVER I, follows the 72 km route of the historic lifesaving trail between the communities of Bamfield and Port Renfrew, BC.
West Edmonton Mall
The WEM remains the largest shopping centre in North America. It was among the first shopping centres to offer a wide range of amenities, from water parks to themed streets - attractive at any time of year but particularly during winter.
West Nipissing (also Nipissing Ouest), Ontario, incorporated as a municipality in 1999, population 14,364 (2016 census), 14,149 (2011 census). The name West Nipissing reflects the municipality's location on the northwest end of Lake Nipissing, 37 km west of North Bay. The region has a rich francophone history, and approximately 60 per cent of the population (8710 people) speak French as a mother tongue language (see Francophones of Ontario).
West Vancouver, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1912, population 42 694 (2011c), 42 131(2006c).