Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Sackville

Sackville, NB, incorporated as a town in 1903, population 5558 (2011c), 5411 (2006c). Sackville is situated 50 km southeast of Moncton on the Tantramar River, near the Nova Scotia border.

Article

Saint Andrews (NB)

Saint Andrews, NB, incorporated as a town in 1903, population 1889 (2011c), 1798 (2006c). The Town of Saint Andrews is located at the mouth of the ST CROIX RIVER in the southwest corner of New Brunswick.

Article

Saint John

Saint John, NB, incorporated as a city in 1785, population 67 575 (2016c), 70 063 (2011c), 68 043 (2006c). The City of Saint John, the second largest city in New Brunswick, is located at the mouth of the SAINT JOHN RIVER on the Bay of FUNDY.

Article

Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures

The area was first settled in 1658, more than 20 years before the creation of the parish of Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures. The name Saint-Augustin was supposedly given to the parish in honour of the governor of New France from 1663-1665, Augustin de Saffray de MÉZY.

Article

Saint-Basile-le-Grand

Saint-Basile-le-Grand, Qué, Town, pop 15 605 (2006c), 12 385 (2001c), inc 1969. Saint-Basile-le-Grand is located between Mont Saint-Bruno and the Rivière RICHELIEU about 35 km east of MONTRÉAL.

Article

Saint-Benoît-du-Lac

  The community was founded by Dom Paul Vannier in 1912 when he acquired a farm at Point Gibraltar, a peninsula sloping down towards the lake. He and 3 other monks began farming and providing religious services.

Article

Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville

The seigneury of Montarville was originally granted to Pierre Boucher de Boucherville Junior in 1710. The Boucherville family combined the last 6 letters of their name to the first 2 syllables of the French word for mountain (montagne).

Article

Saint-Charles-Borromée

Saint-Charles-Borromée was at one time an agricultural village but is now almost totally residential. It is a suburb of Montréal and Joliette. There is no industrial zone, so economic activity is almost exclusively commercial. The hospital is the largest employer.

Article

Saint-Charles-sur-Richelieu

Like many places in the lower Richelieu region, Saint-Charles experienced a decline in the second half of the 19th century. Towards the end of the century, one of the village's activities was the transportation of oats to New York City for use as feed for tramway horses.

Article

Saint-Constant

The early settlement of Saint-Constant dates back to the mid-18th century, even though the parish of Saint-Constant-de-la-Prairie-de-la-Magdeleine was only officially created in 1841.

Article

Saint-Denis-sur-Richelieu

During the REBELLIONS OF 1837 it became a centre for the PATRIOTES who fought against and forced the retreat of Colonel Charles Gore's troops. In retaliation, the village was burned (see ST-DENIS, BATTLE OF).

Article

Saint-Félicien

The town profited from the Chibougamau-Chapais mining boom of the 1950s, since nearly all the copper extracted from Chibougamau and Chapais (280 km northwest of Lac Saint-Jean) left the region via Saint-Félicien.

Article

Saint-Georges

The first colonists came during the French regime to settle on seigneuries ceded to Thérèse Aubert de Lalande Gayon (Aubert-Gallion) and Gabriel Aubin de L'Isle (Aubin-de-l'Isle).

Article

Saint-Honoré

Saint-Honoré, still rural in character, is best known for its flying school, Centre québécois deformation aéronautique of the CÉGEP de Chicoutimi, and for Niobec Inc, one of the world's main producers of COLUMBIUM, a mineral used in the manufacture of steel alloys.

Article

Saint-Isidore

Saint-Isidore, NB, incorporated as a village in 1991, population 748 (2011c), 796 (2006c). The Village of Saint-Isidore is located about 10 km inland on the northeastern tip of New Brunswick, 15 km east of TRACADIE-SHEILA.

Article

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu

Saint-Jean originated as one of a series of forts along the Richelieu during the French regime. After the AMERICAN REVOLUTION, numerous LOYALISTS joined the local families. Through the 19th century, Saint-Jean became increasingly French Canadian and Catholic.

Article

Saint-Jérôme

A regional metropolis situated where Rivière du Nord leaves the Laurentians, Saint-Jérôme dominates the entire Lower Laurentians. The bishopric, courthouse and CEGEP give the town an administrative function as well as industrial and commercial ones.

Article

Saint-Lambert

Saint-Lambert, Qué, City, pop 21 599 (2006c), 21 051 (2001c), first incorporated in 1921 and reincorporated in 2006. Saint-Lambert was amalgamated into the city of Longueuil from 2002-2006 when it then regained municipal status. It is located along the South Shore of the St Lawrence River across from Montréal, and is connected to that city by the Victoria bridge (completed 1859).

Article

Saint-Luc

Saint-Luc was named by association with the neighbouring parishes of St-Martin and St-Marc. In 1963 it incorporated as the city of Saint-Luc with a population of 3218. Eel fishing was one of the mainstays of the economy. This industry remains part of present-day Saint-Luc.