Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Taloyoak

Taloyoak, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1981, population 899 (2011c), 809 (2006c). The Hamlet of Taloyoak, formerly known as Spence Bay, is located in a narrow inlet on the west side of the BOOTHIA PENINSULA.

Article

Tecumseh (Ont)

First settlement in the area dates from the 1790s, and throughout the 19th century the population was almost exclusively rural. Tecumseh grew first as a stopping place on the road between London and Windsor and then as a railway station.

Article

Temagami

Temagami originated in the 1890s as a tourist centre, when campers from southern Ontario first discovered the natural beauty of the area, celebrated in a well-known poem by Archibald LAMPMAN. It had previously been an Ojibwa settlement dependent on fur trading.

Article

Terrace

Terrace, BC, incorporated as a city in 1987, population 11 486 (2011c), 11 320 (2006c).

Article

Terrebonne

Vieux Terrebonne is a veritable heritage storehouse. The historic buildings and landmarks of the old village centre recall the role played by the NORTH WEST COMPANY in the history of Terrebonne.

Article

Teslin

First settled by the Tlingit, the first whites to see the lake arrived in the 1870s and its tributaries were prospected in the following decade.

Article

The Forks

The Forks is a public space where the Red and Assiniboine rivers meet in the heart of what is now the city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. It occupies the waterfront zone east of Main Street and south of the CN mainline rail bridge. The Forks has played a complex role in the history of the region and of Canada as a whole. It has been a traditional gathering place for thousands of years and was an important hub of the fur trade in the 18th and 19th centuries. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, many immigrants stopped at the Forks on their journey west. It was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1974 and is home to other sites of historical and archeological significance, as well as museums, monuments, parks and theatres.

Article

The Pas

The Pas, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1912, population 5513 (2011c), 5589 (2006c). The Town of The Pas is located on the south bank of the Saskatchewan River, about 50 km north of where the river enters Cedar Lake.

Article

Thetford Mines

In 1876 Joseph Fecteau scraped some fibres from a greenish rock with his fingernail; without realizing it, he had discovered ASBESTOS. In 1877 Roger Ward claimed the first mining rights and the Johnson brothers began production the following year.

Article

Thompson

Thompson, Manitoba, incorporated as a city in 1970, population 12 829 (2011c), 13 446 (2006c). The City of Thompson is located on the south side of the Burntwood River, 740 km north of Winnipeg.

Article

Thorold

Thorold, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1975, population 17 931 (2011c), 18 224 (2006c). The City of Thorold is situated on the NIAGARA PENINSULA. Though physically linked to ST CATHARINES, its large neighbour directly to the

Article

Three Hills

Three Hills, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1929, population 3198 (2011c), 3089 (2006c). The Town of Three Hills is located 128 km northeast of Calgary. Three Hills takes its name from 3 prominent hills to the north of the town.

Article

Thunder Bay

   Thunder Bay, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1970, population 108 359 (2011c), 109 160 (2006c).

Article

Tignish

Today, Tignish is 93% Roman Catholic and more than 20% of the population can speak both French and English. The co-operative movement has been one of the community's most distinctive features.

Article

Tilbury

Tilbury, Ont, urban area, population 4700 (2011c), 4809 (2006c). Tilbury is located 56 km east of WINDSOR. It was a town from 1910 to 1998, when it was amalgamated with the new municipality of CHATHAM-KENT.

Article

Tillsonburg

Tillsonburg, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1872, population 15 301 (2011c), 14 822 (2006c). The Town of Tillsonburg is located in Oxford County, 40 km east of ST THOMAS. Founder George Tillson arrived in 1825 and opened a forge

Article

Timmins

For the first half-century of its existence, the town's population and prosperity fluctuated with the fortunes of the various gold mines - Hollinger, McIntyre and Dome.

Article

Tisdale

Tisdale, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1920, population 3180 (2011c), 3000 (2006c). The Town of Tisdale is located at a railway junction, 135 km southeast of Prince Albert. Originally called Doghide after nearby Doghide Creek

Article

Tofino

Tofino, British Columbia, incorporated as a municipality in 1932 and as a district in 1982, population 1,932 (2016 census), 1,876 (2011 census). The community of Tofino is located on the west coast of Vancouver Island, 317 km northwest of Victoria by road, on the northern tip of the Esowista Peninsula and the south side of Clayoquot Sound. The district encompasses an area of 19.09 km2 within the Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve. Tofino developed around fishing and logging industries and is now a popular tourist destination, sought for its natural beauty and outdoor recreation.