The village of Val-Jalbert was born at the turn of the century, when a pulp and paper mill was built at the foot of the falls on the Rivière Ouiatchouane (1901). The company village, very modern for its day, grew rapidly and had 1000 inhabitants by the mid-1920s.
Wile Carding Mill was established in BRIDGEWATER, NS, in 1860 and operated for over a century. In the 19th century the area around Bridgewater was an important sheep-rearing district and area farmers used the mill for carding and batting their wool. The wool was then spun or woven by farm families.