Historic sites | The Canadian Encyclopedia

Browse "Historic sites"

Displaying 121-135 of 220 results
  • Article

    L’Anse aux Meadows

    L’Anse aux Meadows is the site of an 11th-century Norse outpost at the tip of Newfoundland’s Great Northern Peninsula. Arguably the location of Straumfjord of the Vinland sagas, it is believed to be the first European settlement in North America. L’Anse aux Meadows was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1968 and a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1978. Today, it is the site of a popular interpretive centre and ongoing archeological research.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/c63e1117-9a38-4b1e-bdff-7e563bf72b3a.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/c63e1117-9a38-4b1e-bdff-7e563bf72b3a.jpg L’Anse aux Meadows
  • Article

    Lawrence House Museum

    The Lawrence House Museum in Maitland, NS, is both a national and a provincial HISTORIC SITE. It was built in about 1870 by the noted shipbuilder, William Lawrence, as a family home.

    "https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/images/tce_placeholder.jpg?v=e9dca980c9bdb3aa11e832e7ea94f5d9" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/images/tce_placeholder.jpg?v=e9dca980c9bdb3aa11e832e7ea94f5d9 Lawrence House Museum
  • Article

    Lawson Archaeological Site

    The Lawson site is a two-hectare village occupied by the Neutral Iroquoians circa 1500–25 CE.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/7bb513b8-0853-4f6e-94b4-3b07c5a48729.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/7bb513b8-0853-4f6e-94b4-3b07c5a48729.jpg Lawson Archaeological Site
  • Article

    Lachine Canal

    ​The Lachine Canal passes through the southwestern part of the island of Montréal, from the Old Port to the borough of Lachine, where it flows into Lake Saint-Louis.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/3cff11c1-33f8-46e7-a459-1dcfb3bd09e1.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/3cff11c1-33f8-46e7-a459-1dcfb3bd09e1.jpg Lachine Canal
  • Article

    Château Ramezay

    Château Ramezay, in Old Montréal, was the first building to be designated a historic monument by the government of Québec, in 1929. Recognized as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1949, it is now a museum with permanent collections and temporary exhibits where visitors can learn about over 500 years of Montréal’s history.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/0e53d9e8-0dcd-402a-ae45-4a6207d2455e.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/0e53d9e8-0dcd-402a-ae45-4a6207d2455e.jpg Château Ramezay
  • Article

    Leitch Collieries

    Leitch Collieries, an Alberta provincial HISTORIC SITE, is located near the entrance to the municipality of CROWSNEST PASS. This mine site is now abandoned, but in 1907, when it opened, it was considered one of the most advanced and up-to-date coal and coke operations in Canada.

    "https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/images/tce_placeholder.jpg?v=e9dca980c9bdb3aa11e832e7ea94f5d9" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/images/tce_placeholder.jpg?v=e9dca980c9bdb3aa11e832e7ea94f5d9 Leitch Collieries
  • Article

    Reford Gardens National Historic Site

    ​These English-style gardens have been a national historic site of Canada since 1995. They cover an area of 18 hectares and are located in the Grand-Métis municipality of Québec, at the entrance to the Gaspé Peninsula.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/b121f5aa-bf90-422c-96f8-87c9ab1fb2c4.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/b121f5aa-bf90-422c-96f8-87c9ab1fb2c4.jpg Reford Gardens National Historic Site
  • Article

    Library of Parliament

    The Library of Parliament came into being when the legislative libraries of Upper and Lower Canada were amalgamated in 1841 and situated in Montréal. In 1849 only 200 of the 12,000 books were saved when an angry mob protesting the Rebellion Losses Bill set fire to the Parliament Buildings.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/0a4e70e6-7f91-4f8f-8d9a-ac741765b114.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/0a4e70e6-7f91-4f8f-8d9a-ac741765b114.jpg Library of Parliament
  • Article

    Linear Mounds Archaeological Site

    Linear Mounds Site, including the Linear Mounds National Historic Site of Canada, is located on the plain overlooking the Souris River in southwestern Manitoba.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/69b4fffb-a883-442d-beeb-f533063ac2a4.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/69b4fffb-a883-442d-beeb-f533063ac2a4.jpg Linear Mounds Archaeological Site
  • Article

    Louisbourg

    In the 18th century, Louisbourg was a fortified town and an important strategic capital in the French colony of Île Royale (Cape Breton Island). It was the scene of two major military sieges in the Anglo-French wars for supremacy in North America. The fall of Louisbourg to the British in 1758 paved the way for the capture of Québec and the end of French rule in North America. Today, Louisbourg is a national historic site and a popular tourist destination in Cape Breton.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/5a0c0b6b-1a28-4955-ac10-111582958476.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/5a0c0b6b-1a28-4955-ac10-111582958476.jpg Louisbourg
  • Article

    Lower Fort Garry

    Lower Fort Garry was built 30 km down the Red River from Fort Garry [Winnipeg] during the 1830s as the Hudson's Bay Company's administrative centre for Rupert's Land. Although it never achieved the status originally intended, Lower Fort Garry served in a number of minor roles.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/ce49e37a-797d-412f-99cc-c169fa823dc9.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/ce49e37a-797d-412f-99cc-c169fa823dc9.jpg Lower Fort Garry
  • Article

    MacDonald Farm Historic Site

    This provincial farm is a HISTORIC SITE located in the MIRAMICHI region of New Brunswick near Bartibog. The farm was founded by Alexander MacDonald, a Scot who had come to North America as a soldier during the AMERICAN REVOLUTION.

    "https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/images/tce_placeholder.jpg?v=e9dca980c9bdb3aa11e832e7ea94f5d9" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/images/tce_placeholder.jpg?v=e9dca980c9bdb3aa11e832e7ea94f5d9 MacDonald Farm Historic Site
  • Article

    Madawaska: A Canadian-American Borderland, from Colonization to Division

    ​Madawaska was a borderland that comprised parts of New Brunswick, Lower Canada, and the state of Maine, concentrated along the upper Saint John River valley.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/0052e055-bf0b-4980-8f10-08f926f15b9b.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/0052e055-bf0b-4980-8f10-08f926f15b9b.jpg Madawaska: A Canadian-American Borderland, from Colonization to Division
  • Article

    Mailhot-Curran Archaeological Site

    The Mailhot-Curran Site is an ancient Iroquoian village located in the municipality of Saint-Anicet in southwestern Québec, about 70 km upstream from Montreal.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/55eeeb66-e2b1-4c62-a2c6-51acc259b3fa.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/55eeeb66-e2b1-4c62-a2c6-51acc259b3fa.jpg Mailhot-Curran Archaeological Site
  • Article

    Maison Saint-Gabriel

    Maison Saint-Gabriel is a museum and historic site that openedin 1966. This 300-year-old building, located in Montréal’s Pointe-Sainte-Charles district, is one of the finest examples of the traditional architecture of New France.

    "https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/73821ef9-7927-4c50-87a8-505b99c36529.jpg" // resources/views/front/categories/view.blade.php
    
    https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/73821ef9-7927-4c50-87a8-505b99c36529.jpg Maison Saint-Gabriel