Browse "Places"

Displaying 2081-2100 of 2163 results
Article

Vuntut National Park

A portion of the Old Crow Plain (locally called the Old Crow Flats) was set aside, through the settlement of the Vuntut Gwitchin comprehensive land claim in 1993, for Vuntut National Park (established 1995, 4345 km2).

Article

W.H. Hodgins & Co.

W.H. Hodgins & Co. Turn-of-the-century music store and publishing firm in Toronto's Yonge St Arcade. Over 100 copyright and non-copyright sheet music titles are extant, the earliest (1897-1900) published by Amey & Hodgins, and the remainder (1900-7) by W.H. Hodgins & Co.

Article

Wabana

Wabana, NL, incorporated as a town in 1950, population 2346 (2011c), 2418 (2006c). The Town of Wabana is located on the north end of BELL ISLAND in Conception Bay and is the principal community on the island.

Article

Wabush

Wabush, NL, incorporated as a town in 1967, population 1861 (2011c), 1739 (2006c). The Town of Wabush is located in western LABRADOR close to the Québec border 5 km south of LABRADOR CITY.

Article

Wadena

Wadena, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1912, population 1306 (2011c), 1315 (2006c). The Town of Wadena is located about 200 km east of SASKATOON near the Quill Lakes. In the 18th century this area was the territory of the Saulteaux.

Article

Wainwright

Wainwright, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1910, population 5925 (2011c), 5426 (2006c). The Town of Wainwright is located 200 km southeast of Edmonton. The first settlement, Denwood, established in 1906, was moved in its entirety to a railway divisional point 4 km away in 1908.

Article

Walhachin

Walhachin The turn of the century in British Columbia was a time of economic prosperity. The optimism associated with this prosperity enabled land speculators to attract upper-class Englishmen to purchase land and settle at Walhachin.

Article

Walker Theatre

Designed by Howard C. Stone of Montréal, the Walker was modelled on the famous Auditorium Theatre in Chicago (erected in 1889; designed by Adler and Sullivan) which is surrounded by a commercial complex.

Article

Walkerton

Walkerton was settled in the mid-1850s and quickly developed as an important mill site and service centre for the surrounding area. In the 1860s it became the seat of the county's government.

Article

Wallaceburg

In the 1830s Wallaceburg was founded by settlers of the failed BALDOON settlement and named for Scottish patriot Sir William Wallace. A community began to take shape in the 1850s with the development of the lumbering industry.

Article

Wapusk National Park

Wapusk National Park (11 475.0 km2) became part of Canada's national parks system on 24 April 1996 when a federal-provincial agreement was signed providing for its establishment.

Article

Warman

Warman, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 7084 (2011c), 4769 (2006c). The Town of Warman is located about 20 km north of SASKATOON. In 1890 the Qu'Appelle, Long Lake and Saskatchewan Railway was completed from

Article

Wasaga Beach

Wasaga Beach, ON, incorporated as a town in 1974, population 20,675 (2016 census), 17,537 (2011 census). The Town of Wasaga Beach is located on the shores of Georgian Bay at the mouth of the Nottawasaga River, about 40 km northwest of Barrie. Wasaga Beach is the world's longest freshwater beach. The name was derived from the Nottawasaga River.

Article

Waskahegan Trail

Waskahegan Trail is a regional hiking trail of more than 300 km developed in and around EDMONTON, Alta. It began as a Canadian Centennial project (1967) to promote hiking opportunities in Alberta's capital region. Similar in

Article

Waterloo

The area was first settled by MENNONITES led by the Erb family from Pennsylvania in 1806 on what was known as the German Company Tract. In 1816 the area was elevated to township status and named Waterloo after Wellington's famous victory over Napoleon in 1815.

Article

Waterton Lakes National Park

Waterton Lakes National Park (established 1895, 505 km2) is situated in the southwestern corner of Alberta on the Canada-US border. In 1932, this park was united with Montana's Glacier National Park to create the world's first international peace park.

Article

Watrous

NORWEGIAN settlers arrived in the area at the beginning of the 20th century. The community that sprang up to service the area was originally called Mandel after their hometown in Norway.

Article

Watson Lake

Watson Lake became an important communication centre after the construction of a major airport (1943), and remains a transportation hub, linking roads from BC with main routes to the interior and to the Northwest Territories. The town is also the centre for forestry and mining in the region.