Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Sicamous

Sicamous, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1989, population 2441 (2011c), 2676 (2006c). The District of Sicamous is located at the eastern end of Shuswap Lake in south-central British Columbia, 140 km east of KAMLOOPS.

Article

Sidney

Sidney, BC, incorporated as a town in 1967, population 11 178 (2011c), 11 315 (2006c). The Town of Sidney is located on the east side of the SAANICH PENINSULA on Vancouver Island, 30 km north of VICTORIA, facing Haro Strait.

Article

Sillery

Sillery was the first reserve created by Europeans for Aboriginal peoples in what is now Canada. It was established in 1637 near Québec City. It was funded by a French nobleman, Noël Brûlart de Sillery, in response to an advertisement placed by Father Paul Le Jeune in the Jesuit Relations.

Article

Sillery (Qué)

Sillery has a grand history dating back to the 17th century. It was the site of Canada's first Indian reserve and Jesuit mission, Sillery, on the edge of the St Lawrence. The reserve was funded by Noël Brulart de Sillery (1577-1640), for whom the town was named.

Article

Simcoe

The town of Simcoe, including the nearby hamlet of Hillcrest, was one of 6 area municipalities formed as part of the Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk in 1974.

Article

Slave Lake

Slave Lake, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1965, population 6782 (2011c), 6703 (2006c). The Town of Slave Lake is about two kilometres from the southeastern shore of LESSER SLAVE LAKE.

Article

Slocan

Slocan, BC, incorporated as a village in 1958, population 296 (2011c), 314 (2006c). The Village of Slocan is located 70 km by road northwest of NELSON, at the south end of Slocan Lake.

Article

Smithers

Smithers, BC, incorporated as a town in 1967, population 5404 (2011c), 5217 (2006c). The Town of Smithers is located on the Bulkley River in central British Columbia, on Highway 16, 334 km west of PRINCE GEORGE and 371 km east of PRINCE RUPERT.

Article

Smiths Falls

The town is a CPR divisional point, tourist centre for the Rideau Lakes, and houses the Rideau Regional Centre for Retarded Children. Smiths Falls was among the first municipalities in Ontario to have an official plan for development.

Article

Snag

Snag, Yukon Territory, was a community located at the mouth of Snag Creek, 465 km northwest of Whitehorse. The creek was so named in 1898 by members of the US Geological Survey, possibly because it was choked with dead trees.

Article

Snow Lake

Snow Lake, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1976, population 723 (2011c), 837 (2006c). The Town of Snow Lake is located 679 km northwest of Winnipeg on the Canadian SHIELD.

Article

Souris (Man)

Souris, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1903, population 1837 (2011c), 1772 (2006c). The Town of Souris is located at the junction of Plum Creek and the SOURIS RIVER, 45 km by road southwest of Brandon.

Article

Souris (PEI)

Today Souris remains one of the province's main ports; its harbour is not only the site of the Îles de la Madeleine ferry terminal, but it has the only offshore fishing fleet on PEI. It is also noted for its lobster industry and fine beach on NORTHUMBERLAND STRAIT.

Article

South Porcupine

On 11 July 1911, however, the town was destroyed by fire and Noah TIMMINS, owner of the Hollinger mine, established a new town site, also on the railway, that was closer to his own property.

Article

Spallumcheen

Spallumcheen, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1892, population 5055 (2011c), 4960 (2006c). The Township of Spallumcheen is located about seven kilometres north of VERNON and completely encloses the city of ARMSTRONG.

Article

Spaniard's Bay

Spaniard's Bay, NL, incorporated as a town in 1965, population 2622 (2011c), 2540 (2006c). The Town of Spaniard's Bay is located north of Bay Roberts on the west side of Conception Bay.

Article

Sparwood

Sparwood, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1966, population 3667 (2011c), 3618 (2006c). The District of Sparwood is located 32 km northeast of FERNIE in the Elk River Valley.

Article

Spirit River

Spirit River, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1951, population 1025 (2011c), 1148 (2006c). The Town of Spirit River is located in the middle of a large prairie 78 km north of GRANDE PRAIRIE.

Article

Spiritwood

The town is a service and administrative centre for the surrounding area. Grain growing and the raising of livestock are the main activities. The town lies in close proximity to a number of lakes and parks, with many recreational opportunities including fishing, snowmobiling, hunting and golfing.