The history of Trois-Rivières-Ouest is linked with that of the city of Trois-Rivières. Set up as a parish municipality in 1855, it remained rural and semi-rural in character for many years, its population quite small in comparison with that of its neighbour.
The town of Uxbridge was amalgamated in 1974 with the townships of Scott and Uxbridge to form a new township in the Regional Municipality of Durham. Residents of note include local manufacturer Joseph Gould, an ally of William Lyon MACKENZIE, who named the settlement after Uxbridge, Eng.
Valley East was formed by the amalgamation of 3 agricultural and rural townships: Hanmer (founded in 1904), Capreol and Blezard (both founded in 1906). Capreol was annexed to Hanmer in 1967 and Hanmer and Blezard amalgamated in 1969 to form the township of Valley East.
Vancouver's Chinatown features a distinctive hybrid of architectural styles that combines Chinese regional architecture with locally established Western motifs. The main streets in Chinatown follow a traditional Western grid pattern, while the north side is distinguished by interior courtyards, alleyways and façades that face both lanes and streets.
Vancouver Feature: “China-town” Develops on Old Dupont
In 1887, a Vancouver newsman noted the concentration of Chinese residences and businesses at the south end of Carrall Street at Dupont — now Pender Street — near the edge of False Creek . The development of “China-town,” as he called it, was recent, but Chinese had been Vancouver pioneers from the start.
Too small for industry, the city was the location of a number of federal office buildings. The retail and service sectors were also important to the economy. A significant portion of the population remains French-speaking.
Walkerton was settled in the mid-1850s and quickly developed as an important mill site and service centre for the surrounding area. In the 1860s it became the seat of the county's government.
The original economic activity was gold prospecting, but for most of the 20th century, iron-ore deposits were the source of major economic activity. The ALGOMA CENTRAL RAILWAY was built to transport ore from area mines to Algoma Steel in SAULT STE MARIE.
Wiarton, Ont, urban area, population 2291 (2011c), 2322 (2006c). Wiarton was a town (1894-1998) until it was merged into the new town of South Bruce Peninsula (incorporated 1999) along with the townships of Albemarle and Amabel
York, Ont, is an urban community within the city of TORONTO and is separated from Etobicoke by the Humber River.