Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Displaying 201-220 of 938 results
Article

Dauphin

Pierre de LA VÉRENDRYE first visited the area in the 1730s and gave the name Dauphin, for the eldest son of the king of France, to a post in the area (1741).

Article

Dawson

Dawson (also Dawson City), Yukon, incorporated as a town in 1904, population 1319 (2011c), 1327 (2006c).

Article

Dawson Creek

Dawson Creek, BC, incorporated as a city in 1958, population 11 583 (2011c), 10 994 (2006c). The City of Dawson Creek is located near the British Columbia-Alberta border, about 406 km northeast of Prince George and 589 km northwest of Edmonton.

Article

Deep River

Deep River, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1959, population 4193 (2011c), 4216 (2006c). The Town of Deep River is located in eastern Ontario, 208 km northwest of Ottawa.

Article

Déline

Déline, NWT, incorporated as a charter community in 1993, population 472 (2011c), 525 (2006c). The Charter Community of Déline is located on the shores of GREAT BEAR LAKE, 544 air km northwest of Yellowknife.

Article

Delson

Delson was built up around a junction of the Delaware and Hudson and GRAND TRUNK railway lines. Originally known as Delson Junction, its name is the joining of the first syllable of Delaware to the last syllable of Hudson.

Article

Delta (BC)

Delta, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1879, population 99 863 (2011c), 96 635 (2006c). The Corporation of Delta is located in the southern part of Metro VANCOUVER - south of the FRASER RIVER, west of the city of SURREY and touching the US border.

Article

Destruction Bay

Destruction Bay, Yukon, Settlement, population 35 (2011c), 55 (2006c). Destruction Bay is located on the west side of Kluane Lake between HAINES JUNCTION and BURWASH LANDING at Mile 1083 on the Alaska Highway.

Article

Deux-Montagnes

The area was first developed for summer cottages. Later, its proximity to Montréal turned this locality into a residential suburb. Tourism and agriculture, once the mainstays of the local economy, have almost disappeared.

Article

Devon

Devon, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1949 and as a town in 1950, population 6510 (2011c), 6256 (2006c). The Town of Devon is located about 30 km southwest of Edmonton, high on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River.

Article

Didsbury

Didsbury, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 4957 (2011c), 4305 (2006c). The Town of Didsbury is located about 75 km north of Calgary and is named after the town of Didsbury near Manchester in England.

Article

Digby

Digby, NS, incorporated as a town in 1890, population 2152 (2011c), 2092 (2006c). The Town of Digby is located on the west side of the Annapolis Basin in western Nova Scotia.

Article

Dolbeau-Mistassini

Dolbeau-Mistassini, Qué, City, pop 14 879 (2001c), 15 214 A (1996c), area 295.67 km2, inc 1997, comprises the 2 former communities of Dolbeau and MISTASSINI. Dolbeau-Mistassini is located at the confluence of the Mistassini and Mistassibi rivers, just north of Lac SAINT-JEAN.

Article

Dollard-des-Ormeaux

The territory that would become Dollard-des-Ormeaux was originally part of the Parish of Ste-Geneviève, founded in 1741. This parish suffered a series of divisions. Dollard-des-Ormeaux became a distinct municipality after the decision by the parish to impose a tax for road improvements.

Article

Dominion (NS)

Dominion, NS, Unincorporated Place. Dominion is located 6 km northwest of GLACE BAY on the south side of Lingan Basin on Cape Breton Island.

Article

Dominion of Canada

Dominion of Canada is the country’s formal title, though it is rarely used. It was first applied to Canada at Confederation in 1867. It was also used in the formal titles of other countries in the British Commonwealth. Government institutions in Canada effectively stopped using the word Dominion by the early 1960s. The last hold-over was the term Dominion Day, which was officially changed to Canada Day in 1982. Today, the word Dominion is seldom used in either private or government circles.

Article

Donnacona (Qué)

History Donnacona had its beginning in 1700 with the building of a paper mill at a site along the river called Fond Jacques-Cartier. A second mill was built in 1815 and a third mill, Donnacona Paper, was built in 1912.

Article

Dorval

Dorval was a farming community and a resort area until the outset of the Second World War. In 1941 it became the home of the FERRY COMMAND and of a military airport, today's Montréal International Airport. After the war, this airport was an economic magnet.

Article

Douglastown

Douglastown, NB, is an urban community within the city of MIRAMICHI located on the north bank of the MIRAMICHI RIVER.

Article

Drayton Valley

Drayton Valley, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1957, population 7049 (2011c), 6893 (2006c). The Town of Drayton Valley is located about 120 km southwest of EDMONTON. The first European settlers arrived about 1907 and practised marginal mixed farming, lumbering and trapping.