Browse "Places"

Displaying 2061-2080 of 2163 results
Article

Vegreville

Vegreville, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 5717 (2011c), 5519 (2006c). The Town of Vegreville is located in the parkland region of east-central Alberta 100 km east of Edmonton.

Article

Verchères

   Verchères, Qué, Municipality, pop 5243 (2006c), 4782 (2001c), inc 1971. Verchères is 62 km northeast of Montréal, situated on the south shore of the St Lawrence River between LONGUEUIL and SOREL.

Article

Verdun

Verdun is one of the province's oldest municipalities. It was founded in 1671 by Zacharie Dupuis, one of the first landholders on the Island of Montréal. He named Verdun after his native village of Saverdun in France.

Article

Vermilion

Vermilion, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 3930 (2011c), 4036 (2006c). The Town of Vermilion is located on the Vermilion River 190 km east of Edmonton.

Article

Vermilion Pass

Vermilion Pass, elev 1651 m, is situated between Boom and Storm mountains on the BC-Alberta border, 42 km W of Banff. It takes its name from the mineral springs of iron oxide located along the VERMILION R, 9 km SW of the pass, where Indians gathered material for war paint and decoration.

Article

Vermilion River

Vermilion River, 70 km (from its headstream to its confluence with the Kootenay R), rises in the Continental Ranges on the BC-Alberta border at the N end of KOOTENAY NATIONAL PARK. Fed by Tokumm Cr, it drains in a southerly direction, eventually emptying into the Kootenay R.

Article

Vernon

Vernon, BC, incorporated as a city in 1892, population 38 150 (2011c), 35 979 (2006c).

Article

Victoria (BC)

Victoria, BC, incorporated as a city in 1862, population 85,792 (2016c), 80,017 (2011c). The capital of British Columbia, the City of Victoria is situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, about 100 km south of Vancouver. Occupying a peninsular site, Victoria is bordered by the Juan de Fuca and Haro straits. In addition, the Olympic Mountains lie to the south, the San Juan Islands to the east, and the fjord-like Saanich Inlet and richly forested Malahat Ridge and Sooke Hills to the west. Greater Victoria lies within the Capital Regional District (CRD), a federation comprising the following incorporated areas: the cities of Victoria, Colwood and Langford; the towns of Sidney and View Royal; and the municipalities of Saanich, Oak Bay, Esquimalt, Central Saanich, North Saanich, Sooke, Metchosin and Highlands. The CRD also includes the electoral areas of Juan de Fuca, the Southern Gulf Islands and Saltspring Island.

Article

Victoria (NL)

Victoria, NL, incorporated as a town in 1971, population 1764 (2011c), 1769 (2006c). The Town of Victoria is located near CARBONEAR on the road between Carbonear and HEART'S CONTENT.

Article

Victoria Conservatory of Music

Victoria Conservatory of Music. Major British Columbia teaching institution, incorporated in 1964 as the Victoria School of Music. It adopted the name 'conservatory' in September of 1968 and was affiliated with the University of Victoria from October of that year until 1978.

Article

Victoria Island

GeologyVictoria Island is largely composed of sedimentary rock. There is a belt of Precambrian rock on the west coast and another on the south coast, veined with copper formerly used by the COPPER INUIT.

Article

Victoriaville

Originally called Demersville for a local businessman, its name was changed in 1861 to honour Queen VICTORIA. In the early days the town was only a small train station on the GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY line between Québec City and Richmond, Qué.

Article

View Royal

View Royal, BC, incorporated as a town in 1988, population 9381 (2011c), 8768 (2006c). The Town of View Royal is located on the Esquimalt Peninsula, five kilometres west of the city of VICTORIA and bordering on Esquimalt Harbour.

Article

Ville-Marie (Colony)

Ville-Marie, Catholic utopian colony founded on 17 May 1642 on Île de Montréal by the Société Notre-Dame de Montréal, under the governship of Paul de Chomeday de Maisonneuve, to bring Christianity to the native people; but located in a key region for the development of agriculture and the fur trade.

Article

Ville-Marie (Qué)

After 1885 settlement of the land around the lake by families from the older regions of Québec led to the establishment of Ville-Marie. The name dates from 1896 and honours the patron of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, indicating the Oblates' role in the development of the region.

Article

Virden

Virden, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1904, population 3114 (2011c), 3010 (2006c). The Town of Virden is located 278 km west of Winnipeg on the Trans-Canada Highway.