Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Beaver Creek

Located just east of the Alaska-Yukon border, the settlement has a Canada Customs office, a landing strip, and service industries for travelers on the Alaska Highway. It is Canada's most westerly community.

Article

Beaverlodge

Beaverlodge, AB, incorporated as a village in 1929 and as a town in 1956, population 2365 (2011c), 2264 (2006c).

Article

Bedford

Bedford, NS, Urban Community, is situated at the head of Bedford Basin, in Halifax Regional Municipality.

Article

Behchokò

Behchokò, NT, established as community government in 2005, population 1926 (2011c), 1894 (2006c). First known as Rae-Edzo, Behchokò is located near the North Arm of Great Slave Lake, 106 km northwest of Yellowknife.

Article

Bella Coola (BC)

Bella Coola, BC, Unincorporated Place, population 95 (2011c), 135 (2006c). Bella Coola is a small community situated on the north arm of Burke Channel, where Alexander Mackenzie first sighted the Pacific in 1793.

Article

Belledune

Belledune, NB, incorporated as a village in 1968, population 1548 (2011c), 1711 (2006c). The Village of Belledune was reincorporated in 1994 to include Jacquet River, Armstrong Brook, Archibald Settlement, Sunnyside, Becketville and Mitchell Settlement.

Article

Belleville

Belleville, ON, incorporated as a city in 1877, population 49 454 (2011c), 48 821 (2006c). The City of Belleville, the seat of Hastings County, is located on the Bay of Quinte, an arm of Lake Ontario about 180 km east of Toronto at the mouth of the Moira River.

Article

Beloeil

Beloeil was first opened to settlement in the first quarter of the 18th century. By 1754, all the available land had been granted.

Article

Beresford

Beresford, NB, incorporated as a town in 1984, population 4351 (2011c), 4264 (2006c). The Town of Beresford is located 9 km north of BATHURST on CHALEUR BAY and was incorporated as a village in 1967.

Article

Berwick

Berwick, NS, incorporated as a town in 1923, population 2454 (2011c), 2454 (2006c). The Town of Berwick is located in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia in Kings County, 120 km west of Halifax.

Article

Biggar

Two large secondary industries process barley for malt and manufacture environmental storage tanks. A greenhouse comprising 2 ha for plant micropropagation, a salt mine and a poultry farm also provide employment. Its well-known slogan "New York is Big ... but this is Biggar" greets visitors as they enter the town.

Article

Blainville

In 1673, in order to develop the young colony of New France, Governor Louis de Buade de Frontenac gave large concessions of land to administrators, priests and high-ranking soldiers who became seigneurs. The seigneurie des Mille-Îles was created north of the river that bears the same name.

Article

Blind River

Blind River, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 3549 (2011c), 3780 (2006c). The Town of Blind River is located at the mouth of the Mississagi River on the North Channel of Lake Huron, 132 km southeast of Sault Ste Marie.

Article

Bois-des-Filion

Bois-des-Filion owes its name to Antoine Feuillon dit Filion, the French pioneer who settled there in 1684, and to the large maple grove located on the Filion family property.

Article

Boisbriand

First set up as a municipality under the name of Sainte-Thérèse-Ouest in 1946, its name was changed in 1974. The name recalls Michel-Sidrac Dugué, Sieur de Boisbriand (1638-88), to whom was granted the seigneury des Mille-Îles in 1683.

Article

Boissevain

The first homesteaders took up land in the area in the late 1870s and early 1880s, and in 1885 the CPR reached the townsite. By the early 1890s Boissevain was a thriving community with hotels, stores, farm implement dealers and a lumber yard.

Article

Bonavista

Bonavista, NL, incorporated as a town in 1964, population 3589 (2011c), 3764 (2006c). The Town of Bonavista is located near Cape Bonavista on Newfoundland's northeast coast.

Article

Bonnyville

Bonnyville, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1948, population 6216 (2011c), 5832 (2006c). The Town of Bonnyville is located 240 km northeast of Edmonton in Alberta's lake district and prairie parkland.

Article

Borden

Borden, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1909, population 245 (2011c), 223 (2006c). The Village of Borden is located about 65 km northwest of Saskatoon. The village was originally named Baltimore but was renamed by the Canadian Northern Railway after Sir Frederick Borden.

Article

Borden-Carleton

Borden-Carleton, PEI, incorporated as a community in 1983, population 750 (2011c), 786 (2006c). The Community of Borden-Carleton was created in 1995 with the amalgamation of the town of Borden (incorporated in 1919) and the